As a general rule posh sheds are treated as temporary structures for the purpose of planning permission and so generally permission is not needed.
Each planning authority has its own rules but general guidelines are:
- The posh shed must be less than 4 metres high to the top of a ridged roof if it is to be beyond 2 metres from a boundary. If it has a flat roof the maximum height should be 3 metres.
- The posh shed must be less than 2.5 metres high if within 2 metres from the boundary
- The posh shed must not be sited between the dwelling and the main highway.
- The posh shed should not have a floor area in excess of 30 square metres.
- If the posh shed has a floor area of more than 15 square metres it should be 1 metre from the boundary.
If your dwelling is listed or in a Conservation Area there maybe local planning differences. A quick phone call to the local planning department should clarify the situation and give peace of mind.
If possible we are generally able to produce designs that will not need planning permission.
The starting point would be to discuss with the planners either over the phone or in person what you are proposing to do; this can be done with a sketch or image of a similar product, taken from our web site. After this discussion you will have a feel for what will be required in the design from the planners point of view to remove the need for planning permission and can then either modify your plans to fall within that or go through the planning process.
In our experience planning permission is generally granted on reasonable structures and so although the process can seem daunting if you have a specific idea in your head that you want to see through the process is straight forward and we are very happy to help.
The actual process is best managed by yourself as you are 'the customer' of your local planning authority and will find it easier to have an informal discussion with them.
The planning process will include filling out a form which is submitted together with a number of key documents
- Drawings of the proposed structure to a specific sale
- Details of the materials to be used within the structure
- Plan views of the location of the structure within your plot
The drawings that we generally provide give a good idea of how the posh shed will look when it is constructed, but are sketches and do not provide the detail of information that the planning department require for the application of planning.
Further information can be found at the government planning portal (please click here)